Nanny 911


Paris

15 May 575

My dearest Gertrude,

Forgive me for my long hiatus. I suppose it is not customary for a queen to keep in touch with her former governess, but you know how fond I am of you. You, who raised me, who taught me to speak, who was friend and ally alongside me and my sister, Galswintha, God rest her soul. I long for my home in Spain, as I feel so lost at this moment. 

I write to you with a heavy heart in the wake of the murder of my dear husband, Sigibert. My life has been torment— I had not been able to eat or sleep. I would have terrible dreams of him in my sleep and I would call out his name at night. My tears and screams frightened the servants, and I simply could not present myself for strategic discussions with my husband’s peers. I have failed my Sigibert, and I have failed my son, Childebert: in my weakness I let them take my son away from me! Gundovald, that devil, took away the heir to Sigibert’s throne to keep him safe. As if I could not keep my own son safe! It’s so embarrassing as a mother to be told what is to be done with her children. I have no idea where he is—Gundovald kept their location a secret. My anguish for losing Sigibert is doubled by the loss of Childebert; though I know he will return, I wince in knowing that it was said that I was unfit to protect him. Since then, I have steeled myself, and I have resolved to do anything to help his rule.

My son, Childebert, is to be King in his place, and for that I shall be grateful, but as he is still a child, I sense that his hold on the throne to be tenuous. I worry that my brother-in-law Chilperic and his wretched wife Fredegund will threaten his rule. Childebert is merely a child, but he is so much like his father, which nearly sends me into hysterics whenever I look at him. He is ambitious and curious, itching to learn and experiment. I can picture him riding a horse brandishing a sword, just like Sigibert. Despite the pain of his resemblance to his father, it assures me that he will make a great king. Alas, a boy of five knows nothing of kingdoms and armies—he’ll need time, tutoring, growth and nourishment, just like I did when I was young.

It kills me to imagine that I must abandon my children to advocate for Childebert’s seat on the throne by taking it myself. I must be regent. I must ensure that my children are safe—and at five, my son cannot command an army like his father can to repel Chilperic from stealing his kingdom. I simply must step in. You understand, of course, the conflicting emotions I face with leaving my beautiful children in the care of another while I rule as regent to ensure their future happiness and success. Such is the mother’s dilemma, I suppose. I can only hope that they could be in as good of care as I was when I was in Spain…

Gertrude, I ask that you come to Austrasia to govern over my children until Childebert is prepared to take the throne. I trust no one more than myself to raise my children except for you. You would coordinate all the children’s studies, liaise with tutors, arrange for outings and visits around and beyond the kingdom, and serve as a moral guide. Additionally, I need help managing the castle’s upkeep and operations; normally I would manage it myself but I anticipate that as regent I will be attending to other affairs about the kingdom.

Do send a letter when you have considered my offer and are on your way to Paris. I look forward to seeing you after all these years.

Yours,

Brunhild





Spain

8 December 575

To her majesty Queen Brunhild,

I am so honored to have received your messengers requesting my nannying services for the future kings of Austrasia! First of all, I offer my sincerest and deepest condolences for the loss of His Highness King Sigibert. He was a great and wise king, and God bless His Royal Highness King Childebert and your other children as they must now live without a father. I can assure you that all of your children, including Childebert of course, will be enriched with literature, language, and history, as I myself have traveled around Rome my fair share, serving other precocious royal children like yourself. They will always be entertained, well-fed, and clothed in the softest and most comfortable garments. And they will feel loved and protected—I will make sure of that. They will, of course, love you very much, as I will take care to explain to them how important it is that you manage the kingdom.

Ever since Galswintha left, shortly after yourself, I’ve had a difficult time finding work. Your brothers have dismissed me—their wives had brought with them their own governesses. Receiving your letters these past few years has been such a welcome treat. The idea of reuniting with a friend warms by heart, especially to care for her children.

It’s funny, isn’t it—how similar our jobs are? Mine is, of course, tending to children that are not mine until their real mother comes back, while you tend to your son’s kingdom until he is old enough to take it. Both our jobs depend on how long he remains a child, I suppose.

I will make preparations to be in Austrasia at the earliest possibility.

Loyally,

Gertrude

Comments

Popular Posts