Esther: A Queen in Need

Hi Ladies,

I’m writing to you from Susa, the capital of the Persian empire. I, through sheer luck and almost a year’s worth of beauty treatments, happen to be married to the King of Persia. Unfortunately for Persia, my husband has the emotional intelligence of a thirteen year-old boy. For example, his last wife, Vashti, was banished after she refused to appear in front of him at a banquet--he commanded her presence so he could show her off. While I do not blame her for this small act of rebellion, the King and his secretaries certainly did. The thought of women having self-esteem and independence terrifies them, and as such a decree ordering wifely obedience was issued to the kingdom to stop any acts of rebellions inspired by Vashti.
That is where I come in. I’m an orphan, but I was raised by my uncle Mordecai. I was summoned by the king as an eligible young woman during his search for a new bride, and eventually I came into the King’s favor. But, in order to do this, I had to conceal a large part of my identity: like my uncle, I am Jewish. There are a number of Jews in Persia, but my uncle commanded me to keep my identity a secret. My uncle fears for my safety in the palace on account of my religion, so I followed his order to allow him peace of mind.

Okay, I know what you are thinking. What, exactly, is the problem? Am I writing to you for advice on how to better control my husband’s tantrums? Am I seeking counsel about how to reveal my secret? Actually, it turns out I have an even bigger problem to address, so bear with me.

My Uncle has done two things since I became Queen. One was very smart, and the other, while understandable and even noble, was incredibly stupid. The first was that he uncovered a plot to assassinate the king. He, through me, was able to warn my husband, and this act ensured I would continue to hold power in Persia. The second act--the stupid yet noble one--was his refusing to bow in front of a top advisor to the King. My uncle refused to bow in front of Haman, the advisor, because as a Jew he holds God to be the highest authority and chooses to bow before no one else but Him--as if God doesn’t believe in diplomacy. Haman is proud and egotistical, so he took my uncle’s offense personally and decided to annihilate all the Jews in Persia, a very proportionate response. Because my husband is a child, it didn’t take much persuasion from Haman to manipulate him into authorizing such a decree. My uncle was able to inform me of all the news, as I am usually sheltered from any palace politics. He also reminded me that, as a Jew, it is my responsibility to try and save the Jews of Persia. However, I risk banishment or even death if I anger the king. To even appear in front of him without being asked is punishable by death, and he hasn’t called me to him in over a month.

I know there must be a way to convince my husband to save the Jews. A Jew, after all, saved his life not long ago. He’s even married to one! (Not that he knows that, but still). If Haman can convince him to authorize genocide, I should, with my many attributes, be able to persuade him to save thousands of innocent civilians. The Jews of the nation are fasting, both in grief and in prayer. My uncle has commanded me to fix the mess that he created but has offered no suggestion on how to do itv (don’t you just love men).

What is a Queen to do? How do I reveal my identity to my husband and save all the Jews? Is there a way for me to save my people and destroy Haman in the process? Let me know ASAP.

 --Esther

Comments

Popular Posts