Dear Mom and Dad ...
Dear Mom and Dad,
I’ve been here at college for a few weeks now. For the first time ever, I’ve found my classes to be really interesting, and I’m feeling really hopeful about the friends I’ve been making…for the most part. Before I got here, I had this fantasy in my head that my roommate and I were going to be best friends. It was probably stupid, and maybe overly ambitious—after all, we were sorted randomly. But I did have a weird feeling that my roommate and I were going to be really close. Now that we’ve been living together for some time already, I realize that I don’t think this is going to be the case, unfortunately. I was waiting to tell you guys all about this situation, but I didn’t want to worry you or make you think there was something really wrong here. I’m all okay! Don’t worry! But, I do have to say, I’ve never really met anyone like this girl.
Remember move in day? We thought she was just a little shy. Going off to college is definitely stressful, and I know that I was super nervous. You both told me that the people here were going to be really different from everyone that I’m used to back in Los Angeles, so I assumed that her strange clothes and foreign accent just had to do with her different culture, and I was excited that I was going to be living with an international student.
I think she’s a pretty big deal where she’s from in Europe. Her accent sounds French, but when I asked if she’s from France, she said she was, but that it was complicated. Her Facebook page says she’s originally from somewhere in Germany, but she insisted that she was Thuringian—“You could say I’m Germanic, but I don’t know about this Germany business.” I have to be honest, even after three weeks of sharing a room, I still don’t know that much about this girl. She’s clearly comes from money in some way, but I think it’s a little complicated. It’s like, she has connection from her family, but seems to think that she herself is in a bad place socially. Not to be mean, but she’s the type of person who you can tell has been through some issues growing up. Lots of family issues, and she’s definitely been through it. Issues with guys too, but she reeaally refuses to talk about that. I told her she should open up a little and maybe go out more, but she said I wouldn’t understand.
She’s a very serious person and very, very religious. I do respect that about her, however, because she seems Catholic in a very earnest way. It’s less about the formalities to her and really just about all the prayers and stuff. I think that’s cool, because you don’t see that a lot from college students. But then again, Radegund isn’t your typical college student. I don’t think I’ve even met any other college students named Radegund. Although Radegund tends to be very serious, she’s definitely a caring and giving person. Really into community service, going to homeless shelters, helping out with sick people—it’s pretty impressive, actually. I get kind of squeamish in places like that, but it seems like it’s her favorite thing to do. She probably did a lot of that stuff in high school.
You’d never believe what she did the other day. I was staying up really late working on a paper, and I had to go through our common room to get to the bathroom. In the middle of the common room floor, Radegund was face down on the floor, praying! At 3:00 in the morning! I was so freaked out, that I mentioned it to our RA, who said she thinks Radegund might just be an oddball and “maybe just born at the wrong time.
She also has this pretty weird diet. The other day, we were in the dining hall and they had this big special faculty dinner, so the food was actually good. There was steak and mashed potato and pork and mac n cheese. I knew Radegund had made herself a plate of this food, because we walked in and waited in line together, but when we got to the table, I saw that she wasn’t eating any of it. She brought a Tupperware full of beans to the dining hall and was hunched over eating it, like it was some sort of secret. She said she didn’t want to eat the food because she’s vegetarian, but, I don’t know why she had to be so secretive about it.
I know what you’re going to respond to this whole thing. You’re probably going to think that I’m being judgmental and I’m trying really hard not to! It’s not that I don’t like her. If anything, she’s super caring when it comes to other people, but she just stands out so much! With the food and the seriousness and religiosity—it’s just a lot, Mom and Dad. There must be some big secret that she’s keeping. Maybe she’s royalty. Or she’s married. Can you imagine?
Love,
Your favorite daughter
I’ve been here at college for a few weeks now. For the first time ever, I’ve found my classes to be really interesting, and I’m feeling really hopeful about the friends I’ve been making…for the most part. Before I got here, I had this fantasy in my head that my roommate and I were going to be best friends. It was probably stupid, and maybe overly ambitious—after all, we were sorted randomly. But I did have a weird feeling that my roommate and I were going to be really close. Now that we’ve been living together for some time already, I realize that I don’t think this is going to be the case, unfortunately. I was waiting to tell you guys all about this situation, but I didn’t want to worry you or make you think there was something really wrong here. I’m all okay! Don’t worry! But, I do have to say, I’ve never really met anyone like this girl.
Remember move in day? We thought she was just a little shy. Going off to college is definitely stressful, and I know that I was super nervous. You both told me that the people here were going to be really different from everyone that I’m used to back in Los Angeles, so I assumed that her strange clothes and foreign accent just had to do with her different culture, and I was excited that I was going to be living with an international student.
I think she’s a pretty big deal where she’s from in Europe. Her accent sounds French, but when I asked if she’s from France, she said she was, but that it was complicated. Her Facebook page says she’s originally from somewhere in Germany, but she insisted that she was Thuringian—“You could say I’m Germanic, but I don’t know about this Germany business.” I have to be honest, even after three weeks of sharing a room, I still don’t know that much about this girl. She’s clearly comes from money in some way, but I think it’s a little complicated. It’s like, she has connection from her family, but seems to think that she herself is in a bad place socially. Not to be mean, but she’s the type of person who you can tell has been through some issues growing up. Lots of family issues, and she’s definitely been through it. Issues with guys too, but she reeaally refuses to talk about that. I told her she should open up a little and maybe go out more, but she said I wouldn’t understand.
She’s a very serious person and very, very religious. I do respect that about her, however, because she seems Catholic in a very earnest way. It’s less about the formalities to her and really just about all the prayers and stuff. I think that’s cool, because you don’t see that a lot from college students. But then again, Radegund isn’t your typical college student. I don’t think I’ve even met any other college students named Radegund. Although Radegund tends to be very serious, she’s definitely a caring and giving person. Really into community service, going to homeless shelters, helping out with sick people—it’s pretty impressive, actually. I get kind of squeamish in places like that, but it seems like it’s her favorite thing to do. She probably did a lot of that stuff in high school.
You’d never believe what she did the other day. I was staying up really late working on a paper, and I had to go through our common room to get to the bathroom. In the middle of the common room floor, Radegund was face down on the floor, praying! At 3:00 in the morning! I was so freaked out, that I mentioned it to our RA, who said she thinks Radegund might just be an oddball and “maybe just born at the wrong time.
She also has this pretty weird diet. The other day, we were in the dining hall and they had this big special faculty dinner, so the food was actually good. There was steak and mashed potato and pork and mac n cheese. I knew Radegund had made herself a plate of this food, because we walked in and waited in line together, but when we got to the table, I saw that she wasn’t eating any of it. She brought a Tupperware full of beans to the dining hall and was hunched over eating it, like it was some sort of secret. She said she didn’t want to eat the food because she’s vegetarian, but, I don’t know why she had to be so secretive about it.
I know what you’re going to respond to this whole thing. You’re probably going to think that I’m being judgmental and I’m trying really hard not to! It’s not that I don’t like her. If anything, she’s super caring when it comes to other people, but she just stands out so much! With the food and the seriousness and religiosity—it’s just a lot, Mom and Dad. There must be some big secret that she’s keeping. Maybe she’s royalty. Or she’s married. Can you imagine?
Love,
Your favorite daughter
Comments
Post a Comment